Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Back to the Beginning

I feel like I have returned to the days when I first married and knew so little about cooking.  As more and more of the basic ingredients I cook with fall away, I am having to work with new ingredients and figure out how they work.  

Soy bit the dust this past week in my diet.  The irony of it is that I had just received four 20 ounce bottles of traditionally brewed soy sauce I had ordered on-line to be able to deal with the corn issue.  My husband opened one to help out some soy-free sweet and sour chicken I made.  He said it was very good soy sauce.  Glad to hear that at least.  (BTW, adding a little extra salt and sugar to the leftovers helped a lot, so I don't have to slog my way through eating rest of it.)

At this point I figure that once I get through testing out foods, I will make a list of what I can eat.  To keep writing about another food that I have to drop is getting a little depressing.  Even though my diet is restricted, it is a lot more positive to go at it from the challenge of "what good recipes can I come up with using only these ingredients".

This week I am planning to play around with sweet rice flour and potato starch to determine the proportions of water to thickener.  Building block # 1.  

No comments:

Post a Comment