Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Flour Blend and a Muffin Recipe

First I wanted to write out in more detail the flour blend that I am using:

1 pkg. Bob's Red Mill GF sorghum flour (22 oz)
1 pkg. Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oat flour (24 oz)
1 pkg. Arrowhead Mills Organic soy flour (22 oz)

I combine these flours in a large mixing bowl and mix until thoroughly blended.  I then store the flour mix in the freezer and measure it out just as I would regular flour.  Since I find the rice flours and various starches difficult to digest, I do not use them in my baking.  In my shopping for flours, the three I use were the closest in texture that I could find to wheat flour, and so far are working well for me.  

And now, finally, another recipe to share. 



Almond-orange Muffins

1 cup GF flour blend
2 Tablespoons almond meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tablespoon flaxseed meal
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum


2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup oil
1 egg

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.  Combine wet ingredients separately.  Stir wet ingredients into the dry mixture, mixing well.  Spoon batter into a paper-lined muffin tin, filling each section about 2/3 full.  Bake at 350 degrees for 18 minutes or until done.  Makes 10-12 muffins.

These muffins came out nice and light, lightly sweet, and with a nice orange flavor.  They met the approval of some of my non-GF family members, which is my mark of a successful recipe.  Thank you, dear ones, for being my taste-testers.  

1 comment: