Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Colorful

Yesterday started out with the blues when I realized that by re-purposing some of my previous wheat-storing container for my gluten free oats and granola that I had most likely contaminated my food.  Yes, I washed them; but they are plastic, and I have had them many years so they are scratched on the inside.  Then I looked a little more into trying to be gluten free in a non-GF kitchen, and I became discouraged and overwhelmed.  

Some time, research, wrestling with the possibilities, and a helpful conversation with my younger daughter brought things back into perspective.  To help make this transition hold more anticipation than frustration, I am going to pursue colorful solutions wherever possible.  

First, I found some new measuring cups:

Next I am taking some mixing bowls that I was mostly using for decoration and making them my new GF mixing bowls for now.

 I have ordered some new storage containers, that while not colorful, are distinctly different from what I am currently using.  I also order a couple of stainless steel muffin tins since that is what I use for GF baking the most.  I will get some baking sheets along the way, but since I usually use parchment paper with that baking, I am not quite so concerned about that for the moment.  Also on the list are a couple of sauce pans since I have used my current ones for pasta, baking utensils, a couple of colanders (pasta issue again), and leftover containers.  I will have plenty of things to put on my Christmas list this year.  :-)

Once I have my new storage containers, I hope to rearrange my pantry to help me and my hubby keep things separate.  Concerning the actual baking, ideally I would like to keep GF baking on one week and non-GF baking the next, with a thorough scrubbing of the counters in between.  The one thing that may be hardest to remember is to scrub the rack in my toaster oven before I toast any of my bread.  I am sure there will be other issues to consider along the way, but this will be enough for me to deal with right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment