Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Seeing Red-the new kitchen protocol

The new containers arrived.  The pantry is rearranged and the kitchen re-zoned.  My poor hubby is now lost in the kitchen and I find myself opening several drawers or cabinets in my effort to find what I need.  That will all settle with time.  In keeping with the color theme, my new leftover containers and baking utensils are red, making them easy to keep separate, though I have moved my small whisk and my 1/2 tablespoon measure spoon from my old set over to the GF side, since I use those quite a bit in my GF baking.  

Thursday mornings are now my main baking time, and I have printed out a calendar to help me plan what baked goods need to be restock. The kitchen will have been thoroughly cleaned in between, so the likelihood of cross-contamination is minimized.  So far I have had one regular baking session and one GF, and I find I like having a dedicated time to bake.

As I had my first regular baking session, I realized after baking a couple of things that I was getting a headache and my hands were aching.  Ahh, flour dust--should have figured.  My husband said that he should see about getting me a haz-mat suit to wear.  :-)  Well, we don't need to go that far, but I am prepared for this week's baking.


Some might pose the question of why not just go gluten-free totally.  It would make things easier, but my husband has already had to eliminate all dairy from his diet, and I don't want him to have to give up bread, too.  Besides, even though I am challenged in a good way with the GF baking, regular flour can't be beat as far as results.  And there you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment